mootastic1

The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
3.5 Stars, rounded to 4
312 Pages

It would be hard to summarize this book without giving away the story. In brief, it is the tale of a young boy, adopted by the denziens of an ancient London graveyard after the brutal murder of his mother, father, and sister. It is there he resides and is protected until the time for hiding is no longer necessary.

This was a captivating tale and the characters delightful. I can only hope that Mr. Gaiman will someday return to tell the rest of Bod's story. My only disappointment was in the conclusion of certain branches of the story of which I can't go into much detail without spoilers. While it might seem minor it was enough to knock down my rating a tad.

I started the book on audio with my son, but he has the attention span of a gnat and was too easily distracted so I ended up completing it on my own in print. The audio was read by the author, who had the perfect voice for the story and the music at the beginning of each chapter provided flawless ambience and atmosphere. I hope someday to be able to return to the story with my son because I know that he would enjoy it even more than I.