mootastic1

Rapunzel's Revenge

Rapunzel's Revenge - Dean Hale;Shannon Hale Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon Hale
3 Stars
144 pages

Once upon a time, in a land far far away, and even further away from the fairy tale we all thought we knew, the young Rapunzel grew up, raised by Mother Gothel in a huge villa surrouned by massive walls. Every year she would ask Mother Gothel what lay beyond the wall and every year she was told to stay away from the wall. Finally, the year she turned 12, Rapunzel's curiosity could no longer stand to be left unsatiated. She climbed the walls and what she saw and learned there changed everything she thought she knew about herself and Mother Gothel. Locked in a massive tree tower for her disobedience, her hair growing longer with each passing day, she spent four long years. Upon her sixteenth birthday she finally makes a daring escape and plans for vengence. Along the way she encounters many people of the same cruel and selfish nature as Mother Gothel, but she also makes one very true friend, Jack, and together they set off for Gothel's Villa to set things right.

A very cute little twist on Rapunzel, it was a very quick read. I picked it up off the library shelf while my boys were playing, and finished it in under an hour. Shannon Hale did a great job at creating the character of Rapunzel considering how little text she had to write. Most of the story was told through the illustrations, and they were expertly completed. Anyone who is a fan of fairy tales reimagined, graphic novels, or just wants a fun read to pass the time would certainly enjoy Rapunzel's Revenge.