mootastic1

Daniel James Brown
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell

If Today Be Sweet

If Today Be Sweet - Thrity Umrigar Tehmina is newly widowed and unsure of what to do with her life. Should she stay in Bombay, where everything is familiar and reminders of her husband are around every corner, or should she move into her son's home in suburban Cleveland as he desires, though it is clear that she is a burden to his wife? During the course of a 6 month stay with her son, she begins to see the world in a new light and emotionally bonds with the two neglected boys next door. But is that enough to help make Tammy, as she is known to her friends, leave everything behind for a new life?

I went into this book hoping for a good story. The dust jacket sounded appealing, in fact the descriptions of all of Umrigar's books sounded appealing. A transplant from India herself, she has a view of the world that straddles the two cultures. Unfortunately, what could have been a really great view at an experience I will never have, instead was lackluster and left me extraordinarily underwhelmed. I read the first third of the book and only skimmed through the rest just to find out what her decision would be. I didn't connect with any of the characters who were very one-dimensionally written. The setting could have been any city in America, as there was nothing to set it apart as being Cleveland. And the story was dull and uninteresting. I can't say that I would recommend this book or that I am at all interested in giving Umrigar another chance.