mootastic1

Daniel James Brown
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell

Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre - Michael Mason, Charlotte Brontë Jane Eyre is one of the most well-known novels of the Gothic era. It begins with the title character's early years, the ward of cruel aunt and favorite 'mouse' to her cousins' 'cat.' She is eventually is sent to Lowood school, where she suffers more privations, but also enjoys far more happiness. Upon quitting the school where she toiled as a student for six years and a teacher for another two, she takes a job as a governess to a young French girl at Thornfield Manor, and this is where the story really takes off.

I found Jane Eyre an enjoyable way to pass the time, a great character study in the Gothic tradition, and a stirring love story. It is the love story that makes it the timeless classic it has become. I did not enjoy Jane for Jane, anymore than I enjoyed Mr. Rochester for himself. But their love was profound, and it moved me, far more than most stories of love can do. I was thrilled with the end, though there were one or two bits that I found to be a bit overdone and necessary. I'm glad to have finally read this novel, but unlike what it has become to many others, it will never be a favorite of mine.