mootastic1

Daniel James Brown
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams Arthur Dent is your typical Londoner. He has a house, a job, and heads out to the local pub on a regular basis. Ford Prefect, is not your typical Londoner. He is an inter-galactic hitchhiker who stopped off for a quick stop on Earth and found himself stranded there for 15 years. But now he's off again and he's decided that rather then let his friend Arthur blow up with the rest of Earth as it's demolished to make way for a freeway, to take him along for the ride. What happens next is enough to blow Arthur's mind, which he very nearly looses while ldiscovering the Answer to Everything.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is an amusing little book but it's not at all what I was expecting or hoping for. The characters lacked any real depth, the plot was practically non-existant, and the conclusion came very abrubtly as if it shouldn't have ended when it did. I seriously have to question it's consideration as one of the best books written or it's inclusion as one of the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die.

At 224 pages it should have been a quick diversion, but for me it was anything but. It took me two weeks to complete and a full week to get even 80 pages in. I will likely read the follow-up books eventually as I can't leave a series I've begun uncomplete, but I doubt I'll be doing so anytime soon.