mootastic1

Daniel James Brown
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell

Dark Wraith of Shannara

Dark Wraith of Shannara - Terry Brooks Dark Wraith of Shannara is the first ever graphic novel set in Terry Brooks epic fantasy world of Shannara. It takes place in the years following The Wishsong of Shannara and features Jair Ohmsford, who along with his sister Brin, is the of the first generation of Ohmsfords to posess magic. The book opens with a dream, a nightmare really, in which Jair remembers what happened to him the last time he used the Wishsong. Distraught over these recurring nightmare, he goes to his sister for advice. Unsurprisingly, she makes him promise never to use the Wishsong again. The shade of the Druid Allanon has something else in mind and sends Jair on a new adventure, using the Ohmsfords once again to save the world.

This was my first graphic novel. I can't say that is something I will find myself reading often. While the illustrations were well done, and I thought very true to how I would have imagined Shannara, they just can't replace the descriptive narrative which I have come to love not just from Terry Brooks, but what I find to be most important to my perception of a book. I think this story would have been great written as a novella. However, it has whet my appetite for more Shannara and Terry Brooks. I wasn't aware that he had written a novella, also featuring Brin and Jair, "Indomitable" and I will definitely be reading it shortly.