mootastic1

Daniel James Brown
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell

The Adoration of Jenna Fox

The Adoration of Jenna Fox - Mary E. Pearson Set in the near-future when bio-ethics have continued to advance down a path we've already started, The Adoration of Jenna Fox, is more than anything a book of unanswered questions and discovery. Jenna Fox is a 17 year old girl who has just woken up from a year long coma. When she first wakes up, she can't remember anything of the accident that put her in the coma, her life before, even simple things like walking and eating must be relearned. Through watching the near-obsessive family videos her mother provides, memories that randomly click into place with no rhyme or reason, and old-fashioned snooping, Jenna comes to learn the horrifying truth and must learn to live with the decisions that have altered life, for her and the rest of the world, beyond imagination.

I found the book to be a quick read, the characters a little one dimensional, and in the end wishing the author had dug into such a meaty issue just a little more. For me, this is a common problem with young adult novels, so I wasn't surprised. That said, it didn't take away from the fascinating premise at all. Pearson poses many questions that in our modern society are important to ask. Just how wise are the decisions being made regarding bio-engineering. It starts with genetically engineering a potato with a naturally occuring pesticide, but where does it stop? Cloning? Genetically engineered humans? The conclusions reached in this book, were for me as someone who fully believes in preserving our natural world, quite scary. I don't want to even imagine a world like the one Pearson has presented us.