mootastic1

Daniel James Brown
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell

The Gathering Storm

The Gathering Storm - Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson The Gathering Storm is the first in a 3 part set that will comprise the final book of the Wheel of Time, A Memory of Light. Begun by Robert Jordan, it has been completed by Brandon Sanderson, following Jordan's death. Rand al'Thor is struggling to unite all of the nations under his rule to lead them as one under his banner to the Last Battle. It seems that every wear he turns someone is fighting that goal. The Seanchan are nipping at his heels to the south and perhaps he isn't as able to control the madness that has taken root in his own mind as he thought. Meanwhile, Egwene, Amrylin to the rebel Aes Sedai, has her own battles to fight. She is held captive in the White Tower by Elaida and the loyalists and must find a way to unite them all before the Seanchan attack that she Foretold comes and destroys the White Tower for good.

The book focused heavily on Rand and Egwene, which I think was necessary. Yes there is other stuff going on with Elayne, Perrin, and Mat, but most important is what is happening around Rand and Egwene. I struggled to get through many of Rand's scenes though. As time passes he has become almost unlikeable, but the final scene of the book more than makes up for that. Egwene's scenes on the other hand were all incredibly easy to read. It was amazing to see such a transformation come over her and what she is able to accomplish.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who has read the first 11. This is easily the best book of the series in a very long time. I could hardly put it down and I can't wait until the next book is released, which all told will be later this year.