mootastic1

Daniel James Brown
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell

A Long Way Down

A Long Way Down - Nick Hornby Maureen, Martin, Jess and JJ have only one thing in common - their intent to jump off the Toppers Building on New Years Eve. Instead they end up looking for Jess's ex, forming a loose friendship and making an agreement to wait another six weeks to see if they can change their lives.

I am not really sure what the point of this book was. By the final page nothing has been resolved. Only one of the characters has made any appreciable changes in their life. The other three still live in the same sorry state of existance. I can't say that I even cared if they jumped or not. I found both Jess and Martin to be unlikeableand Maureen and JJ had no personality. On the whole I found the whole book to be rather depressing and dull. Someone must be getting something out of Hornby's books because they keep getting made into movies (not this one though) but this is my second book by this author and it will probably my last.