mootastic1

Daniel James Brown
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell

The Dog Stars

The Dog Stars - Peter Heller In a post-apocolyptic world where most of the population has been wiped out by disease and life is a kill or be killed prospect Hig lives at an airplane hanger east of what used to be Denver. He shares his home with his dog Jasper, a gun-toting sharpshooter named Bangley, and his memories. A pilot, he makes frequent perimeter checks to keep them safe but also puts them in danger with his fishing and hunting trips, not to mention his visits to a nearby Mennonite family infected with a dangerous blood infection. When it finally becomes too much, he flies out past his point of no return in search of a connection.

This was a fantastic book. In a time when it seems there is a new post-apocolyptic book every day it is hard not to become jaded when reading this one. And while like many of the others this book is dark and dreary, it has something so many of them don't, hope. Hig is full of hope and it suffuses the pages of this book. I found myself rooting for him in a way I don't often do, crying when he cried, laughing when laughed. This is definitely one of the best books I have read all year and look forward to reading more by this author.