mootastic1

Daniel James Brown
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There - Ana Juan, Catherynne M. Valente September has spent the year since she returned from Fairyland in a fog of desire to return. She misses the friends she made there and if she was different from the kids at school before, it's that much more obvious now. In addition her father still hasn't returned from the war, she feels his absence even more keenly. So when she is reading in the fields near her home and a boat comes sailing through the air, bearing two people who could only be from Fairyland, she immediately sets chase. When she trips across the border between the two, she quickly discovers, that she made a horrible mistake when last she visited and if she doesn't fix it, all of Fairyland may cease to exist.

I know these books are written for children, but I can't help but love them. The story is so creative, the characters so likable and well written, the setting both unique and familiar at the same time. And the fact that I wish I was September and could visit Fairyland and have the adventures she is having, well that is just the icing on the cake. There is so much to like about this series of books and this author. Maybe now is a good time to start reading some of her fare that is actually written for an adult. She's a very talented author and I'm so thankful to whomever it was that first brought her to my attention (Cora, I think that was you).