mootastic1

David Mitchell

Armageddon's Children

Armageddon's Children - Terry Brooks Armageddon's Children by Terry Brooks
3 Stars

Apparently, for Terry Brooks, every path leads back to Shannara, for in Armageddon's Children, he bridges the gap between the fantasy series he began approximately 35 years ago, and his more recent Word and the Void trilogy, set in a contemporary United States. 100 years after the closing of the Angel Fire East, the Void has managed to gain the upper hand. The entire infrastructure of the world's governments has collapsed, much of the land is unpopulated, those humans left gathered in compounds or even more rarely trying to survive in the poisoned world outside these compounds. Once men and mutants are an ever present danger, along with the Demons. Few are left to protect the humans, with possibly only two Knights of the Word left. The Lady has sent each of them on two separate but vital missions. Logan Tom is charged with finding and protecting the Gypsy Morph, while Angel Perez must help the Elves, who have been hiding in their forests for centuries, find the Elfstones and save the Ellcrys.

There is a lot going on in this book. We're introduced not only to Logan and Angel, but also Hawk and his tribe of children, and the Elves. While I enjoyed the story, I found it be a very frustrating read. It is clearly nothing more than a set-up novel. When the book ends, three of the four storylines are left as major cliffhangers, while the fourth is still clearly not resolved, though less dramatic. Further, I really feel that our introduction to the Elves, which comprised only a small part of the storyline, could have waited until the next book. In addition, there were a lot of typos throughout my copy, which was really annoying. Despite these issues, I'll keep reading, just because I'm curious to see where it goes. Hopefully the other books are less aggravating or I might just quit. That would be a shame, because Terry Brooks and Shannara was my initial gateway into fantasy, and I'll always have a soft spot for his books.