mootastic1

Daniel James Brown
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell

Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile

Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile - James Jean, Craig Hamilton, Lan Medina, Steve Leialoha, Bill Willingham Forced to flee their homelands, the fairy tale characters of legend now inhabit a high-rise condominium in New York City. Determined to keep their identities hidden from the "mundanes" the Fables have created their own government. While Old King Cole is the permanent mayor, the real power belongs to his deputy mayor, Snow White. When the apartment of her sister Rose Red is found trashed and covered in blood, she turns to the sheriff of Fabletown, Bigby Wolf, to solve the crime.

This was a fun twist on all the fairytales everyone has read since they were young. The content tends towards the adult end of the spectrum, and definitely favors the darker versions of the stories that have been largely replaced by Disney in our modern era. For such a short story, I though that Bill Willingham did a very nice job in fleshing out the characters and giving them depth of personality. The illustration was also nicely done, full of life and color. I definitely think this is a series I plan to continue reading.