mootastic1

Daniel James Brown
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell

The Devil Colony: A Sigma Force Novel

The Devil Colony: A Sigma Force Novel - James Rollins It is so difficult to write a review of this novel, really almost any thriller, without some spoilers, but I'll endeavor to do my best. The novel opens on a Ute Indian Reservation in southeastern Utah. Two young men, boys really, are off on their last adventure, before the circumstances of college and life send their lives in two different directions. It is an adventure that can come to no good conclusion. This sets of a bomb, literal and figurative, that explodes to through the historical and scientific communities and personally draws Painter Crowe, director of Sigma Force, to question everything we know about the founding of America, it's pre-history, and the cutting edge technology of nanotechs.

I've said before that I am not a fan of this genre, and I'm not, with one glaring exception, James Rollins. He manages to put together plots and sub-plots, characters and story elements that just don't belong together. In any one else's hands this story would have been a disaster, completely unbelievable. Yet Rollins pulls it off masterfully. From the very first page you are pulled into a story that spans from across continents and time. The action is tight and fast-paced, and the characters fully likable, even the villains surpass the usual stereotypes. With each book he writes, the stories just get better. I can't recommend this author enough, and this book is the best of the lot.