mootastic1

Daniel James Brown
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell

Brida

Brida - Paulo Coelho Brida is a very simple story, through and through. Coelho tells the story of a young Irish girl, and her journey of spiritual self-discovery as she simultaeneously searches for her Soul Mate and uncovers her Gift while training to become a witch. It doesn't pretend to be anything more than this, there are no side stories to distract the reader. This is very nice. I enjoyed not having to split my attention between competing storylines.

However, along with the simplicity of story is a simplicity of style. The writing technique was almost too simplistic. It didn't even read at a young adult level; perhaps more of an adolescent. Perhaps this was done for a reason. Mass market appeal, maybe? Or maybe it was a plot device. Simplicity in the storyline equals simplicity in writing? Whatever the reason, it actually detracted from my enjoyment of the book. I prefer more complexity in my books. Given the storyline of spiritual self-discovery it doesn't fit either.

That said, the book itself was very inspiring. Bride's journey to find herself is one that I've undertaken and sadly forgotten, left to wither. Coehlo's novel has aroused in me a desire to pick up where I left off, to find my spiritual roots and a community with which to worship.

I have rated this book at three stars, because it's appeal was more personal than critical. Critically speaking, I enjoyed the story, but it wasn't anything special. I'm not oppossed to reading more of his work, but I'm not going to rush right out and pick up another of his books.