mootastic1

Daniel James Brown
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell

James and the Giant Peach

James and the Giant Peach - Roald Dahl, Quentin Blake James Henry Trotter has been orphaned and sadly forced to leave his happy childhood to live with his Aunts Sponge and Spiker. The aunts are very cruel and resentful and treat James horribly. When a strange man offers James magic crocodile tongues with the promise that something amazing will happen, he can't wait to see what happens. And what does happen is the most amazing adventure of his life, leading him both to good friends and happiness.

I read this book as a child and remember really enjoying it. As an adult I didn't enjoy it quite as much, but it's target audience is obviously much younger than I. It is full of all the absurdities and fun that you would expect from Roald Dahl.

This go around, I listened to an audio version with my children when we were in the car. I thought the narrator did a very nice job, particularly with all the voices he provided for the aunts and James's companions inside the peach. I highly recommend this book as a read-along with child of 8 or younger and read-alone for child between the ages of 8-12.