mootastic1

Daniel James Brown
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell

Enchantment

Enchantment - Orson Scott Card In a modern twist on the Russian folktale of Baba Yaga and Sleeping Beauty, Orson Scott Card sends Katerina her knight in shining armor straight from 20th century America. It is 1992 and fresh from completing his research studies to complete his dissertation, Ivan is visiting his cousin Marek who had one time helped Ivan and his parents escape from Soviet Russia. He had last been to the farm when only 10 years old and had discovered an enchanted princess in the woods. Haunted by this image since Ivan is compelled to return and this time he wakes her with a kiss. He promises to marry her in an atempt to save both of their lives and is drawn into the 9th century, duty and honor bound to help Katerina save her kingdom from the evil witch Baba Yaga.

While I enjoyed the story I did not love it as I had been hoping. The story itself was the main strength while the characters seemed weak. I just couldn't empathize with them as I would have liked. There was nothing wrong with them, they just felt bland and without any real personality to them, even Baba Yaga who should have been great. I found Bear to be most interesting though he was not a major player. I'm truly disapionted because I had been looking forward to this read. I wish I could have liked it more.