mootastic1

Daniel James Brown
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell

Life of Pi

Life of Pi - Yann Martel Pi Patel is a young Indian boy with interests far outside the norm of his friends and family. While his brother Ravi is heavily involved in cricket, his dad running the zoo, Pi is immersed in swimming lessons and religion, considering himself a follower of Buddhism, Christianity, and Islam. When India becomes too politically unstable, his parents decide it is time to make a new home for themselves across the sea in Canada. The board a cargo ship with many of their zoo animals, but only Pi makes it to Canada. His story is a strange one, and in the end he tells two, but which is the truth? Did he really survive 277 days at sea with a Bengal tiger or did he simply create a fantasy as a coping mechanism?

I had high hopes for this book. I had heard many great things about it. I was highly disappointed. Only the fact that I listened to an audio recording made me continue with it. It was so hard for me to get through, that it stalled all my other reading. It took weeks to get through this painfully dull and boring book. It had it's moments to be sure; I found his philosophical and religious exploration to be fascinating, but the story of his days as a castaway could not hold my attention and I found myself constantly rewinding when I would catch myself drifting off. I can't say I would recommend this book to anyone, though based upon how well received it was, obviously it has it's fans. I'm just not one of them and won't be reading any more books by Yann Martel.