mootastic1

Daniel James Brown
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator - Quentin Blake, Roald Dahl In the sequel to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, author Roald Dahl picks up right where he left off. Literally. The book begins with the old ones still in their bed and the bed itself being squeezed into the Great Glass Elevator. From there a madcap adventure starts, shooting them into outer space where they orbit the earth, battle an alien race, and rescue a commuter space shuttle all before returning the Chocolate Factory itself. Of course this isn't the end of the adventure, it is merely the beginning.

While my son and I enjoyed this second book, it wasn't quite as amusing and charming as the original. There was a lot of bickering that really annoyed me and took away from the likability of the Bucket family, though Charlie ever remains sweet and above it all. I don't feel that it is at all necessary to read this follow-up, and I dare say you might be better off leaving it be. That said it was still fun to read with my son, and we will certainly be reading more of the fantastical tales of Roald Dahl.