mootastic1

Daniel James Brown
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell

Treasure Island

Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
4.5 Stars
144 Pages

15 men on a dead man's chest...Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum

Jim Hawkins is the young son of a poor innkeeper when he meets his first pirate, Billy Bones, who has holed up at the Admiral Benbow, trying to avoid his death at the hands of his fellow gentlemen o' fortune. His fate has already been sealed though and the pirates set upon the inn with violence, seeking the map that leads to Cap'n Flint's treasure. However, in an attempt to make good Billy's debt, Jim has already stolen away with it, not knowing what it is. When he finally learns what he has, he along with Squire Trelawney, Doctor Livesey, Long John Silver, and a mutinous crew depart from the port of Bristol in search of treasure.

This is the classic pirate story from which all others follow. Without Treasure Island where would Pirates of the Caribbean be? I adored this story from start to finish. It was easy read, written as it was for a younger audience, but it was just so much fun that it didn't matter. Having previously seen movie adaptations of the story, I already knew what to expect, or thought I did. I certainly didn't expect to enjoy the adventure as much as I did. I read it in two sittings and went to bed dreaming of pirates and treasure. I can see exactly why it is such a favorite of young boys and why the pirate, cruel though most of these were, remains such a romantic figure in the collective psyche.