mootastic1

Karen Maitland
Daniel James Brown
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell

The $64 Tomato: How One Man Nearly Lost His Sanity, Spent a Fortune, and Endured an Existential Crisis in the Quest for the Perfect Garden - William   Alexander Bill Alexander loves his backyard garden. Maybe a little more than average backyard gardner. The lengths he goes to, in order to protect it from critters, bugs, weeds, and from weather, often result in the humorous anecdotes he relates in this memoir. It's pretty clear that his garden is his pride and joy, his reason d'etre. His wife, his neighbors, and his co-workers all think he's a bit crazy. I think I might agree. Even he realizes that he has crossed the line. He is no hobby gardener, but a gentleman farmer.

Honestly, I don't have a lot to say about this book. The author's exploits in protecting and encouraging his garden are over-the-top and border on the ridiculous, and that is what makes them funny. But his is definitely not your usual backyard garden and it makes him somewhat hard to relate to on a personal level. The book was fairly average, with the occasional bright spot, but I've read several memoirs, that even with an unrelatable narrator, were just better.