mootastic1

Daniel James Brown
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making - Ana Juan, Catherynne M. Valente If you enjoy fantasy and are looking for a light read, look no further. September is a twelve year old girl, living in Omaha, when she is spirited out the window by the Green Wind and taken to Fairyland, armed only with a few confusing rules, a green jacket, and a sense of adventure. Let to make her way alone, she makes some great friends, completes a quest, breaks more than a few rules, and discovers her Heart.

What a charming little novel this turned out to be. I loved the language, the phrasing, the characters, and the story. Really, it was just an enjoyable read. While it certainly isn't anything ground breaking, I'm glad I took the time to read this sweet fairy tale and will definitely be picking up more books my Catherynne Valente. I don't mind reading books written for a young adult, and have no problem rating them similarly to how I would a book written with an older target audience in mind, but this one definitely falls more into a child's book category. It would be perfectly suitable for a young reader and I will be passing it on to my nine year old son to read. But because of this, I just can't give it the higher rating I would an adult novel. The rating however, doesn't accurately reflect my utter delight and enjoyment in the world and story that Ms. Valente created.