mootastic1

Daniel James Brown
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell

Little House in the Big Woods

Little House in the Big Woods - Laura Ingalls Wilder, Garth Williams This novel, much like all the others in the Little House series, hardly needs an introduction or summary. They are famous the worldover for sharing author's life growing up first in the woods of Wisconsin and later on the wide-open prarie. This first book take us through one year of her early life, in the Big Woods, in a secluded cabin, yet surrounded by all her family.

I selected this book for a "read-along" off the audio shelf in the children's section of the library, because my boys are fascinated by the idea of farm life and pioneering. It took them a bit to get into the idea of this book, but they definitely enjoyed every minute of it. I can't tell you how many times I heard them wondering when we were going to live a life like Laura's and when can we do the things that were necessary for their survival. While my favorite part was definitely the description of the family ball and Pa's stories of his own childhood, they were fascinated by the how-to descriptions and are begging to be allowed to sap a tree, churn butter, and so much more.

The audio book was read by Cherry Jones and she was flawless, the perfect selection for this novel. She captured Laura's excitements, fears, and dissapointments perfectly. My boys and I are definitely primed to pick up the next book in the series.