mootastic1

Daniel James Brown
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell

In the Woods

In the Woods - Tana French Three kids disappear into the woods as they do every day. Only one came out and he can't speak of what happened. As an adult, Rob, has changed his name and now serves as a detective on the elite Dublin Murder Squad. When he and his partner Cassie catch a new case of a murdered child in the town where he spent his youth, he is determined to not let it affect him. He's succeeded for two decades in suppressing what happened in the woods, why would this time be any different.

The positives are that I really liked Rob as a character. I thought that telling the story from his point of view was absolutely the correct choice. I also really enjoyed the author's writing style. It worked for this type of story.

On the other hand, I thought that most of the mystery of the new murder was easily solved. While I didn't get all the details right, I knew enough of how it would finish very early in the book. Also, while I started out liking Cassie, by the end I was very disappointed in her character and how she handled what were obviously very traumatic events for her partner. Finally, the book jacket leads you to believe that Rob will unearth just what happened to him and his friends. I'm not sure if it was intentionally misleading or not, but I was very frustrated to learn that this part of the crime goes completely unsolved.

Overall, I liked the book and I am interested in giving Tana French another try. However, I'm hesitant to read the next book in the series because I found Cassie so unlikable by the end, and she is the main focus of that second book.