mootastic1

Daniel James Brown
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell
State of Wonder - Ann Patchett

Dr. Marina Singh is stunned to hear that her lab mate, Anders Eckman has died after travelling to the Amazon on company business. Pushed by her boss and compelled ny Anders wife, Marina undertakes her own trip into the jungle to learn the details of why Anders died and to finish the job he for which he was originally sent. Once there however, nothing is what she expected and she is left questioning her own life, past and present.

This book had a bit of a slow start, but once Marina finally gets to the Amazon, I was hooked. The story took some interesting turns, and each time I left off, I was anxious to hear more. I was disappointed by one event near the end, and also in a few loose ends that I felt Patchett could have done more to tie up. You wouldn't know it going in, but this book has a very subtle science fiction angle that I think anyone reading it should be aware of. I listened to this as an audio book and felt the reader was decent, though she would occasionally forget the accent when she was narrating an Aussie woman. Overall, I would recommend this book to fans of both Patchett and science fiction.