mootastic1

Daniel James Brown
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell
Steelheart - Brandon Sanderson

When he was only eight David watched Steelheart, a human who gained powers after the appearance of Calamity, kill his father and turn much of Chicago into steel. Ten years later he is a young man who is focused on one thing, discovering Steelheart's weakness and together with the Reckoners, the only ordinary humans willing to fight back, exact his revenge.

I thought this novel was an interesting take on both the young adult dystopian novel and comic bookesque superpowers. A bit more simplistic than I usually prefer my reading, it was still a fun adventure with lots of action and entertainment value. It didn't suffer from the usual teen angst love story angle you typically get in this genre, which was refreshing. The book also doesn't end in a major cliffhanger, allowing it to stand alone even though it is book one of a planned trilogy. Another nice treat. There are questions left unanswered, the biggest of which is what is Calamity and where did it come from. There is definitely enough to keep me interested in continuing the series, especially as my son is also reading the books and can't wait to discuss them with me.