mootastic1

Daniel James Brown
Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell
Life After Life - Kate Atkinson

Ursala Todd is born and she dies. We all do, but the circumstances surrounding her life and death are in a constant state of flux. She is born and she dies. She is born, experiences a few sweet years, and she dies. She is born, she lives, she dies. The cycle is ever repeating, but never in quite the same manner.

I was hooked from the beginning, though at first it was a bit hard to follow. However, once I got into a good rhythm I found myself flying through the book, reading a hundred pages or more in a single sitting. This is a bok the needs to be read in as few a sittings as possible, or at least breaks taken at the clearly dileneated sections of the book. I rather enjoyed this format but I can see that it may be off-putting to others.

As for the actual story, I very much enjoyed it. It is the story of a life. As in all lives there are periods of great energy and excitement, but also periods filled with the tedium of a day to day existence. I love that in a novel. Everyone wants their books to be filled with adventure and excitement, but when it comes to real life they prefer something a bit more ordinary. Less a whirlwind of emotional highs and lows, and more an calm voyage. I greatly respect when an author can show both sides equally well. It is my belief that Kate Atkinson has done exactly that.